Saturday, August 20, 2011

I will be increasingly grateful for the Plan of Salvation

In my family we tend to spread our children out, at least from first to last. My father's oldest sister was 24 1/2 when his youngest sister was born (she was an aunt 4 times at birth), my youngest brother was born when I was 25 1/2 (he was an uncle 5 times at birth with a niece and nephew born the same year - four and seven 1/2 months later respectively).
I grew up with my 3 youngest aunts as peers, they were cousins more than anything, they just happened to live at Grandma's house and called her mom. Consequently their children seem more like my children's cousins than my own, which they are. Until she got married while I was still in high school, I was closest to my aunt Nannette - when we visited we always had to share a bed when we were young because we both moved so much in our sleep no one else could survive the night and get any rest.
Thursday her youngest child, only daughter, died of aneurysms. Went to work, didn't feel well, was taken to the hospital, doctors operated and as she was waking up from surgery a second burst and nothing could be done. She was 30 and leaves behind a husband and 16 month old son. My heart breaks for her family members, my prayers on their behalf are so inadequate but I am too far away to do anything else.
I am reminded how grateful I am for my own children and their good health -and will be praying more diligently for their protection- yet at the same time I know our Grandma and Grandpa were there to meet her and take her in their arms. (Would not be surprised if my darling husband was there too, Renae and I were both sealed to our parents and grandparents and I am sealed to my husband - joining our families together. Oh how my grandma loved my husband!)
I have been a widow for 9 years (3 mo and 13 days), the first year was the worst but I notice it is hardest when I lose my eternal perspective. When I recall his testimony and enthusiasm for teaching the gospel and how he looked forward to teaching his extended family with his father and brothers who predeceased him, my heart fills with joy and I just have to smile.

No comments: